Claims: What to do if you have a professional E&O liability claim
As trusted experts in the field, TIAC is highly experienced in helping you with any professional liability claim. Claims are an occupational hazard and can happen to anyone. That’s why we’re here to work closely with you and assist you through the process from beginning to end.
Please review the information below to learn the steps to take if you have a claim and the services TIAC provides.
HAVE A CLAIM? Please take the time to review and follow the steps below.
- Immediately report the claim by e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org), fax (800-TIAC-FAX Attention: Claims) or mail to:
- Claims Department
- Title Industry Assurance Company
- 7501 Wisconsin Avenue, Suite 1500E
- Bethesda, MD 20814-6522
- Report the following information on a TIAC Incident/Claim Report Form (PDF)
- a. Your firm’s name, address, and phone number
- b. Your policy number
- c. Date, time, and location of incident
- d. Brief description of the allegations
- e. Names and addresses of persons making the claim
- f. Amount of demand (if known) and date received
- Do not admit liability, and do not attempt to place blame.
- Accept all papers (documents, letters, memos, etc.) without comment or argument.
- Prepare a written, detailed narrative of what happened.
- Assemble and retain the following materials for future reference:
- a. Any lawsuit papers or legal proceedings
- b. Relevant client contracts or agreements
- c. Any other pertinent correspondence or documents
- Make a copy of all records and correspondence for your files.
- Consult your claims representative or assigned defense counsel before agreeing to participate in any conferences to discuss the allegations.
HOW WILL TIAC HELP? TIAC will do the following if you have liability claims:
- • After we are notified of a claim, our claims counsel will contact you to begin an investigation of the allegations.
- • TIAC’s claims counsel will work with you to direct, monitor, and assess your case as necessary.
- • We will evaluate your potential liability and advise you of the courses of action available.
- • If local legal counsel is required, we will retain an attorney experienced in the defense of title agents and abstracters’
professional liability claims.
- • We will coordinate the defense of the claim with you and your assigned legal counsel.
- • Your claims specialist will make recommendations as to the defense or settlement of your claim.
- • We will not enter into a settlement without your consent.*
- • We’ll answer any questions you may have about our service.
*Some restrictions may apply. See the policy for details.